Scheme 48 1.9 release candidate #1
Michael Sperber
2012-12-30 16:40:32 UTC
After something like 2.5 years of release engineering, I've put RCs for
Scheme 48 1.9 at:

http://s48.org/1.9/scheme48-1.9rc1.tgz
http://s48.org/1.9/scheme48-1.9rc1.msi

I'd appreciate if people could give this a whirl. I'm especially
interested in reports Mac OS X Mountain Lion and Windows 8.

There are many things to say about this release; I'll say (some of) them
with the actual release announcement. I hope to push out the actual
release by mid-January. Sorry for taking so long.

NOTE: On my Mac OS X Lion installation, Xcode's C compilers come with a
prerelease LLVM backend that has a bug which essentially breaks
compiling the Scheme 48 VM. (The compile takes forever, and the
resulting VM is unbearably slow.) This affects both the Clang and the
gcc front ends. The only solution I know to this problem is to install
LLVM/Clang via some other route. I use the Clang/LLVM binaries from the
LLVM download page at:

http://llvm.org/releases/download.html

(Note that Clang generates many, many warnings, but the resulting
compile is fine.)
--
Regards,
Mike
Marcus Crestani
2012-12-30 17:41:20 UTC
MS> I'd appreciate if people could give this a whirl. I'm especially
MS> interested in reports Mac OS X Mountain Lion and Windows 8.

Mountain Lion's LLVM/Clang still has the bug you've mentioned. I work
around it by turning off the compiler's optimization ("-O0"), e.g.

./configure CFLAGS="-O0"

Other than that, the release candidate works fine.
Marcus
Jonathan Rees
2012-12-31 17:33:23 UTC
Post by Michael Sperber
After something like 2.5 years of release engineering, I've put RCs for
http://s48.org/1.9/scheme48-1.9rc1.tgz
http://s48.org/1.9/scheme48-1.9rc1.msi
I'd appreciate if people could give this a whirl.
Compiled and ran tests on a 2008 SUSE Linux, all ok.
Compiled (with ./configure CFLAGS="-O0") and ran tests on Lion, all ok.
Without -O0 on Lion compilation and execution were excruciatingly slow, as you reported.
Haven't tested it with my own programs yet.
Jonathan