Status of Scheme 48?
Tim Čas
2012-05-30 06:39:32 UTC
Hello there,

I'm considering using Scheme 48 in an embedded application (specifically,
in my game engine), but I would like to know its status -- primarily
whether it is still actively developed or not?

Thing is, I could sleep much more easily if I knew that any bugs I found
would get fixed once reported? I've found it's a real problem with
not-yet-actively-maintained software -- bug reports tend to hit deaf
ears... Or maybe /dev/null, who knows.

Furthermore, I would like to know how well Scheme 48 works in threaded
applications -- I take it the VM does not have any facilities for
simultaneous operation in multiple threads?

Thanks!

Best regards,
Tim Čas
Michael Sperber
2012-06-05 07:54:21 UTC
Post by Tim Čas
I'm considering using Scheme 48 in an embedded application (specifically,
in my game engine), but I would like to know its status -- primarily
whether it is still actively developed or not?
It is: However, I'm running pretty late cutting the next release. I'll
make another stab at it next week. Until then, you're much better off
running the development branch than the 1.8 release:

http://s48.org/cgi-bin/hgwebdir.cgi/s48
Post by Tim Čas
Furthermore, I would like to know how well Scheme 48 works in threaded
applications -- I take it the VM does not have any facilities for
simultaneous operation in multiple threads?
The VM itself runs in a single OS thread. There's no problem using it
in an application that runs in multiple threads, but one has to be
careful - as always with this kind of setup - to ensure that the
interaction between the two always works within the Scheme 48 OS thread.
(There's a branch with a parallel version of Scheme 48 by David
Frese waiting to be merged one day.)

Hope that helps.
--
Cheers =8-} Mike